Antarvedi – Lakshmi Narasimha Temple
- Located in Antarvedi, Sakhinetipalle, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh state in India.
- The temple is situated at the place where the Bay of Bengal and Vashista Godavari, a tributary of the Godavari River, meet. It was built in the 15th and 16th centuries.
- Antarvedi Temple is an island temple as it is located at the meeting point of the Godavari river and the ocean.
- The Lord Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy idol facing towards the west, unlike east which is common in all Hindu temples.
- Narasimha is one of the ten incarnations (Dasavataram) of Lord Vishnu.
- The idol of Goddess Lakshmi Devi sitting on the lap of Lord Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy.
- Other idols/temples inside: Goddess Rajyalakshmi and Lord Venkateshwara, Bhoodevi and Ranganadha Swamy, Santhana Gopala Swamy and Keshava Swamy, Acharyas and Alwars sannidhi(small temples) and Chaturbhuja (four-armed) Anjaneya, Lord Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
- Neelakanteshwara (Lord Shiva) is present near Vasishta Godavari.
- Rituals and Pinda pradanam for depated souls are done here.
- There are five important spots at Antarvedi Temple
Sea, Sagar Sangam, Vasishta River, Raktakulya River, Chakrateertham
- “OM Namo Lakshmi Narayanaya”
- “Om Namo Naarasimhaya”
- “Om Lakshmi Nrusimha mama dehi karavalambam”
How to reach
There are three ways that one can travel to Antarvedi. Steam launches are available. Alternatively, one can ride on the ferry, upon reaching Sakhinetipalli and from there start for Antervedi by road. The third option is to cross the Chinchinada using the newly built bridge, and travel the rest of the way by road.
By Rail: Nearest railway stations are Kakinada, Rajahmundry, and Narsapur.
- 10 km from Narasapur
- 130 km from Kakinada
- 100 km from Rajahmundry.
- Board public transport to reach temple.
- Boat/Ferry service is available from Narasapur.
By Air: Vijaywada and Rajahmundry are the nearby Airports.
According to the legend, Lord Brahma, who is also known as the creator, wished to get freedom from sins he had committed against Lord Shiva. For this very reason, he had performed a “Rudrayaga” and prepared the place like a stage or “Vedik”, hence the name “ANTARVEDI”. Lord Brahma installed an idol of Lord Neela Kantheswara there. Before this, the Sage Vashishtha had created a branch of River Godavari here and established an ashram on it.
Later, Raktavilochana, the son of Hiranyaksha, did penance for over ten thousand years on the banks of Vasishta river, to please Lord Shiva. The Lord was pleased with Raktavilochana’s penance and blessed him with one wish. Raktavilochana had a rather uncommon desire – he asked that the number of sand particles drenched by the blood drops falling from his body on to the ground at war, would produce equal number of Rakshasas, as strong and vigorous as himself, and they would assist him at war and become one with him after killing all the enemies. His desire was fulfilled by the Lord.
Raktavilochana used his power to disrupt the Yagnas of Sages and harassed Brahmans. Sage Vishwamitra took this as an opportunity to avenge Sage Vasishta and provoked Raktavilochana to kill Vasishta’s hundred sons. Sage Vasishta, who was at Brahmaloka when his sons were murdered, returned to his ashram and prayed for Lord Narasimha’s grace.
“ Prahlada varadam Vishnum Nrusimham Paradivatam.
Saranam Sarvalokaanaamaapannaarti Nivaaranam.”
Lord Narsimha, answered the Sage’s prayers and charioted along with Goddess Lakshmi on his Garuda Vahana. Vasishta prayed to the Lord to descend at his ashram and kill the demon.
War broke between the Lord and Raktavilochana and he shot all types of weapons at the Lord which were countered by only one weapon the ‘Sudarsana Chakra’. The blood drops that fell on the ground from the wounded Rakshasa’s body created more Rakshasas. To counter that, the Lord created “Maya Sakthi” managed to stop the fall of blood drops to the ground and released the blood as the reddish river called the “Raktakulya”. Lord killed Raktavilochana and destroyed the demons as well. It is said that Maya Sakti rode a horse, therefore it is known as ‘Aswarudhamba’ or ‘Gurralakka’. Chakrateertham is the place where the Lord washed his chakrayudha after he had destroyed all the demons with it. Once Lord Narsimha destroyed the troubling demon, Sage Vasishta expressed his desire to establish his Holiness at his ashram. The Lord was pleased with this request and agreed to fulfill his desire and the temple was erected in the presence of all the Gods and angels. It is believed that visiting Antarvedi is the easiest way for devotees to achieve Mukti.
Ms. Adilakshmi Sri Bh. Sridevi
SRI LAKSHMI NARSIMHASWAMYVARI DEVASTHAM
ANTHARVEDHI – 533252
EAST GODAVARI DISTRICT
Mail Id : email@example.com
Phone No: +91 8862 259313
Temple is open on all days from 6 am to 7 pm.
- Nija roopa darshanam
- Lord’s chariot procession
- Dole pournami celebrations
- Sri Venkateswara Swamy kalyanam
- Sri Narasimha Jayanthi
- TTD Choultry is available , Antarvedi.
- Devotees can contact the Choultry for accommodation and bookings on this number: (08862)259313.
Draksharamam – Sri Bhimeswara Swamy Temple – abode of Lord Bhimeswara Swamy and his consort Manikyamba (Shakti Peetham). 90 km from Antarvedi. Attraction here is that Shivalinga is 2.6 m tall and made of one large Crystal.
- Guralakka Temple
- Anjaneya Temple
- Kshetra Palakudu
- Sagara Sangamam
- Sthana Gatta
|2||Aasthothara Namarchana with Gotranamamulu||RS 10/-|
|3||Kesa khandana||RS 10/-|
(Small and Heavy)
|Rs 58/- 116/-|
|7||Sasvatha Pooja||Rs 116/-|
|8||Video Charges||Rs 116/-|
|12||Sasvatha Kalyanam||Rs 10,000/-|
|13||Mokkubadi Kalyanam||Rs 1,116/-|
|14||Sudharshana Homam||Rs 200/- for Daily
Rs 10,000/- for 6 Months
Rs 20,000/- for 1 Year
Temple Authorities are performing Annadanam. They humbly request the donors to extend their co-operation by donating funds for Annadanam
Please donate through our account numbers given below:
A/c No : 100310011008148
E.G. DIST, A.P.
A/c No : 100310011000633
E.G. DIST, A.P.
|IF DONATION IS 1,00,000/- AND ABOVE
Then DONAR will be called as “MAHARAJA POSHAKULU”
|IF DONATION IS 50,000/- AND ABOVE
Then DONAR will be called as “RAJA POSHAKULU”
|IF DONATION IS 10000/- AND ABOVE
Then DONAR will be called as “POSHAKULU”
“OM Namo Lakshmi Narayanaya”
“Om Namo Narasimhaya”
“Om Lakshmi Nrusimha mama dehi karavalambam”