Jallikattu also known as Sallikkattu, Eru thazhuvuthal and Manju virattu is a bull taming event organized in Tamil Nadu as a part of Pongal celebrations on Mattu Pongal day.
In Jallikattu, a bull is released where participating crowd surround and attempt to grab the bull’s horns, hump and ride on it to stop the bull.
- Jallikattu refers to a prize of coins (salli) that are tied (kattu) to the bull’s horns and that participants attempt to retrieve.
- Jallikattu has reference to Samgam period, Tamil classic period (400BC) and Indus Valley civilization also.
- This event is attributed for display of bravery and prize money is for participation encouragement.
- Bos indicus/Zebu bulls are bred by village people and mostly attached to the temples. After the event, tamed bulls are used for domestic activities and agriculture, and the untamable strong bulls are used for breeding the cows. The offspring will be strong and prodcuce more milk preserving the genetic strength and traits of the indigenous cattle breeds.
- The training of the bulls starts at calves stage they are reared to become bulls are fed a nutritious diet so that they develop into strong and sturdy animals.
Protests and ban
- Animal activists, the FIAPO (Federation of India Animal Protection Agencies) and PETA India have protested against the practice since 2004 as it involves animal torture, cruelty, mistreatment and public safety hazard, injured humans, fatalities.
- In Spain and other countries in the bane of bull fight the innocent animal is provoked with rags and poked with knives in the hump for it to bleed and fall finally.
- In Nepal and other parts Animals are sacrificed in masses to the tune of 100,000 on single day – the blood flows like streams like river during the occasion.
Tradition and culture
- One must upkeep traditions but with the changing times we need to modify them if they pose risk on life to the participants and cruelty to animals.
- Jallikattu is something to do with animals/ beasts and man competing against it is something unequal wise vs innocent beasts.
- We can choose better mode than visible cruelty to animals by making them for our fun and enjoyment
Its upto the humanity to choose between human and inhuman act.
The performer and onlooker also get aggressive in thoughts and raged with violence – not sure if its good for the society.