Consequences of climate change in Antarctica:
- A new study by NASA and other institutions affirms that Antarctica is losing its ice at a much faster pace.
- Researchers confirmed that Antarctica is losing around 2000 giga tons of ice per year, the majority of the ice is replaced by snowfall which can mitigate the sea level rise but not enough to compensate loss of ice
- The ice melting can cause ocean warming, sea level rise, effect on marine eco system, imbalance/uneven rainfall, extreme weather conditions and unpredictable weather changes
Winter Olympics at Seoul, South Korea:
- Norway beats the US record by winning 38th Pyeongchang Medal.
- Scandinavia wins 38 medals with 13 golds, 14 silvers and 11 bronze medals.
- Last record was in Vancouver, Canada in 2010 – the US clinched 37 medals
Baal Aadhaar for Kids:
- UIDAI has notified that Aadhaar is mandatory for every citizen in India including new borns to be enrolled under this system. A child below the age of 5 years will get a blue-colored Aadhaar called Baal Aadhaar.
- Baal Aadhaar cards are linked to their parents, so, it is essential for a child to have Aadhaar besides the child’s birth certificate. Failing which till the child attains the age of seven years, they may be under suspension.
- There are many schemes such as Midday Meal Scheme, ICDS (Integrated Child Development Services), Scheme for Providing Quality Education in Madrasa, National Scheme of Incentive to Girls for Secondary Education and there are many which are linked to Aadhaar.
A Memorable day to Tamil People:
Former CM of Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa’s statue has been unveiled by Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami at AIADMK Headquarters in Chennai on the occasion of her birth anniversary.
NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) 2018:
- CBSE has fixed the upper age cap at 25 for general category students and 30 for reserved candidates to appear for NEET 2018.
- NEET 2018 is scheduled for May 6. Online registration started from Feb 9 to March 9. For General category application fees is Rs. 1,400 and Rs. 750 for reserved candidates.
ECI has announced biennial polls to Upper House:
- Election Commission of India (ECI) is holding elections to 58 Rajya Sabha seats.
- BJP’s strength is increasing day by day and it is expected to rise in Upper House also.
- 57 seats will fall vacant by April 2018. The Union Ministers whose tenure ending include Arun Jaitley, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Dharmendra Pradhan, J P Nadda, Thaawar Chand Gehlot, Ramdas Athawale and there are many members from various states.
- The election will take place on March 23 and the counting will be held on that day only.