IMD (the Indian Meteorological Department) Weather predictions:
- IMD’s seasonal forecast in North India seems to be above normal by more than one degree Celsius from March to May.
- Average temperatures in Delhi along with the neighbouring states of Haryana, Punjab, and Rajasthan, can riseover 1.5 degrees Celsius above normal levels.
- Hilly states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand, a maximum rise of more than 2.3 degrees higher than the usual temperatures in hilly states
- South India and four north-eastern states: The temperatures are likely to be normal.
- India normally experiences hot weather and heat wave conditions during March-July period.
Amazon Music app / Amazon Echo:
- Amazon launched a new music app in India, the subscription- based music streaming service that’s part of Amazon Prime membership.
- You can access through amazon.in, or download the Amazon Music app on android, iOS, Fire TV, Windows, and Mac.
- Previously, it was restricted to users of the Amazon Echo smart speaker line-up in India. In some places it has used as ‘Amazon Prime Music’ but the actual service and apps are called Amazon Music. Since Amazon Music is part of the Amazon Prime, it costs Rs.999 for one year.
- Firstly, it asks the preference of languages which user wants to listen, users can select on their interest. It will use that information and gives importance to you, but it doesn’t act as a filter. It means still the user has a preference to select other language which they don’t select. And if you’ve already been using Amazon Music on your device, you can see your recent playlists and albums.
SBI increases loan rates to 8.15%:
- The topmost lender of assets State Bank of India hikes marginal cost-based lending rates (MCLR) across most maturities, with immediate effect. More than a fifth of India’s banking assets, raised the key 1-year MCLR to 8.15 percent from 7.95 percent, according to the recent notification.
- After the inception of a new lending rate system in April 2016, this is the first hike in the 1-year MCLR. Banks are raising its lending rates even though the RBI unchanged its rates, as risks such as surging bond yields and many more provisioning requirement erode their profit.
Money laundering case – Karti Chidambaram arrested:
Karti Chidambaram, son of former finance minister P Chidambaram was arrested on Wednesday and has been taken into 14-day custody by CBI in the money laundering case. CBI will probe many others also who are involved in this case. Former Congress leader Ashwani Kumar said the arrest of Karti Chidambaram for the purpose of custodial interrogation as “wholly arbitrary” adopted by CBI.
Illegal minerals mining in Rajasthan:
CAG report – unearthed illegal mineral excavations worth around 99 lakh metric tonnes in Rajasthan. CAG says its unlawful mining and violations denying the Supreme Court orders pertaining to the Aravali hills.
Union ministry granted clearance for mining leases despite the area falling under the Aravali hill range.
Rajasthan has a rich mineral resources like zinc, copper, lead, rock phosphate, silica sand limestone, marble and most of these are found in the Aravali mountain range.