Winter Olympics (9th Feb to 25th Feb 2018) Closing Ceremony:
- World is curious to watch the closing ceremony of Winter Olympics 2018. Closing ceremony was attended by Moon Jae-in, Ivanka Trump, North Korean Delegation and other dignitaries.
- The torch relay started on 24 October 2017 in Greece and ended at the start of the Olympics on 9 February 2018. The relay lasted 101 days. 2,914 athletes from 92 countries participated in 102 events in 15 sports.The opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics was held at the Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium on 9 February 2018. The US$100 million facility was only intended to be used for the opening and closing ceremonies of these Olympics and the subsequent Paralympics, and is scheduled to be demolished following their conclusion Norway topped the list with 39 medals (14 gold, 14 silver, 11 bronze) 2nd place Germany with 31 medals (14 gold, 14 silver, 7 bronze) 3rd place Canada with 29 medals. 4th place USA with 23 medals At 16th place China got 9 medals 91 gold, 6 silver, 2 bronze)
- Trump administration imposing much stricter sanctions on North Korea to stop its nuclear programme for safe world
- North Korea held talks with the US for diplomatic move.
SRIDEVI (54): Demise of a legendary Bollywood/Tollywood Actress:
- Sridevi passed away in her hotel room in the Emirates Towers, Dubai after suffering a massive heart attack/drowning in bathtub.
- Indian Cinema Industry paid tributes to Sridevi. Many celebrities, politicians, fans expressed shock and grief.
- She started her career in Tamil Cinema at the age of 4 and popular child actor. Later, she became leading actress in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi movies, whose career spanned more than four decades.
- Sridevi’s last film was in 2012 – Gauri Shindesh’s movie ‘English Vinglish’ and was last seen in ‘Mom’ which released last year. She also guest appeared in Shah Rukh Khan’s film ‘Zero’.
Modi Launches Amma 2-wheeler scheme (50% subsidy) for women
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday launched the scheme for working women, on the occasion of Jayalalitha’s 70th birth anniversary celebrations, in the presence of Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarlal Purohit, CM K Palaniswami, and Deputy CM O. Panneerselvam and other dignitaries.
- As part of the scheme, each beneficiary is given 50% of the cost of a two wheeler or a grant of Rs. 25,000 and one lakh women will be covered under this scheme every year.
- It was launched in the presence of Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarlal Purohit, CM K Palaniswami, and Deputy CM O. Panneerselvam and among others.
IOC and Russia:
- IOC (International Olympic Committee) will decide on Russia whether to lift its ban for mass doping, as 2 out of 168 Russians who participated in Winter Olympics failed doping test.
- The Russians are hoping the ban could be lifted in time to parade their national flag in the closing ceremony on Sunday.